For Information
(800) 399-4529

TTY/TDD (310) 393-7734

Government Benefits

Attorneys in LAFLA’s Government Benefits Unit help low-income individuals who have trouble obtaining, or are denied government benefits, including:

LAFLA’s Veterans Justice Center also helps vulnerable veterans get the aid they need from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

We also conduct education seminars throughout the community, so please check our Calendar.

New Report: "Cash assistance benefits for the nation’s poorest families with children fell again in purchasing power in 2011 and are now at least 20 percent below their 1996 levels in 34 states, after adjusting forinflation. While most states froze benefit levels in 2011, six states and the District of Columbia cut them, reducing assistance for more than 700,000 low-income families that represent over one-third of all low-income families receiving such assistance nationwide. Read more.

Martinez Law Suit Settlement

Did Social Security Stop or Deny Your Benefits Because You Had an Arrest Warrant? Read flyer.

You may be able to get Social Security benefits and $$$ in back pay because of a lawsuit settlement called Martinez. The settlement may help if you didn’t get Social Security benefits because there was an outstanding arrest warrant (except for probation or parole violation). Contact Social Security immediately to update your address and place your name on the Martinez list. Wait for Social Security to send a letter about how the Martinez settlement affects you.

For more information, call (800) 399-4529.


Frequently Asked Questions. Please click for answers.

  1. What should I do if I receive a Notice of Action stating my CalWORKs Cash Aid, CalFresh, Medi-Cal, IHSS, etc. have been cut-off, reduced or my application has been denied?
  2. How can I file a case complaint to my DPSS district office if my CalWORKs Cash Aid, CalFresh, Medi-Cal, IHSS, etc. have been cut-off, reduced or my application has been denied?
  3. How can I appeal Social Security Retirement, SSI, SSDI, Survivors and Medicare Reductions, Denials, or Terminations?
  4. Can I file a late appeal if my Social Security Retirement, SSI, SSDI or Medicare benefits are cut off, reduced or denied?
  5. What should I do if I am denied Medi-Cal or I will be cut-off of Medi-Cal?
  6. How can I disenroll in my Medi-Cal HMO?
  7. How can I make a complaint if I am having problems enrolling in a
    Medi-Cal plan?
  8. How can I get free and low-cost health services?
  9. How can I get free health insurance for my children?
  10. What can I do if I have a General Relief problem?
  11. How can I appeal a General Relief case?

To speak with someone immediately or to make an appointment, call (800) 399-4529. We also conduct education seminars throughout the community. For more information about our community outreach program, including topics, dates, times, and locations, visit the LAFLA Calendar.






For Legal Help, Call (800) 399-4529

Contact | Site Map | Employment | Newsletter | Annual Report | Advocacy Report | Credits

© 2016 Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles   Terms and Conditions of Use